Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Whiplash!

Oh. My. God.

The school year has officially begun, and I am trying to recover from the whiplash. Between orientations and advising for new students, student crises, student disciplinary proceedings, new course prep, and preparing for our first faculty meeting (and the attendant submeetings)--not to mention the conference proposal that got misplaced, the ongoing research project, and the planning for a trip to a family event coming up--life has been a little overwhelming.

I know everyone can relate to the back-to-school frenzy. Life as an administrator just amps it up to a whole different level. My gf just reminds me daily that this too shall pass--and that it happens every year at this time, so I should stop being surprised now that I am in the fourth year in this administrative position. "Just breathe," she says. (You know why I love her, right?)

The good news is that all the balls are in the air, none have fallen, and all I have needed is a couple martinis and some m&m's... not at the same time, tho. And next week seems almost empty by comparison! At least, it is now, until the meetings get planned and my time dribbles away.

Hopefully, by the end of the month, the workload will be back to normal, I can go see some movies, and hang out with the gf like I used to do. And then I can rub my sore neck and forget the beginning of semester disaster until next year!

No comments: