Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The academic's plea on Thanksgiving

A loving note from academics everywhere to our extended families:

The Thanksgiving "holiday" is officially a very busy time of year for us. We are grading like crazy, trying to finish our course preps for next semester, working on pubs and grant proposals, and we only have a limited amount of time to do everything we need to do. So, please, lower your expectations!

Some of us will not come home for the holidays, because we find it insane to try to travel far away in such a short window of time. By the time I get there, I will have to choke down dinner and return, during one of the worst travel periods in the U.S. And if I miss the connection, I will wind up alone for the holiday, and that would suck. And the last thing I need right now is to be felt up by TSA employees. We will see you in December, okay?



For those of you who are lucky to live nearby, we will certainly stop by and visit for Thanksgiving. We might even watch some football. But no, we won't host at our house. We haven't even cleaned in weeks, let alone prepped for cooking. There are papers and exams strewn around the living room, and the kitchen has only cereal and sandwich meat. That's why I am coming to YOUR house. I will stop and pick up a pie or two, if you need me to bring something. Then I have to go home and grade. And no, you can't help grade, but thanks for offering.

**This has been a friendly announcement from your favorite family academic, who you are sure only works 3 hours a week and gets summers off. **

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it.